If we had the ability to go back in time, we’d have to venture back to Mesopotamia circa 2,000 BCE in order to catch a glimpse of the first-ever padlocking security mechanism.
The technicians and sentinels of the time were tasked with safeguarding food depositories, ancient temples, and other vital structures, but it became very taxing and challenging to stand on guard at every entrance day after day.
To simplify their security procedures, they contrived the original variation of the pin and tumbler lock – a device that was essentially comprised of several large timber bolts and concomitant apertures near the door that would hold the wooden rivets in place.
Similar access systems were utilised throughout Asia, Africa, and Eastern Europe for the next 3,000 years, but this all changed when English innovators began shaping, welding, and fusing more elaborate metallic locking devices during the tenth century AD.
The Indispensable Role of Today’s Locksmiths
Each year throughout Australia, there are upwards of 185,000 illegal premises entries, which are colloquially referred to as break-ins, burglaries, or robberies.
Over the past 12 months, the frequency of home invasions has increased by almost 4%, which translates to an average of one housebreak every 180 seconds. To make matters worse, the average robbery in Australia lasts less than eight minutes, making it nearly impossible to catch the perpetrator in the act.
The key to avoiding this is to prevent crime before it occurs and to ensure that all of your security mechanisms are functioning correctly on a day-to-day basis, which is why contemporary crime consultants recommend that every homeowner and business proprietor should have the contact number of a reputable locksmith in Perth on speed dial. These property protection devotees are always ready to help by providing the following services:
- Around-the-clock readiness 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
- On the spot lock-out assistance for buildings and vehicles
- Re-keying of locks after a relocation, eviction, break-up, previous burglary, or any other type of situation that calls for a reset of access consent
- Installation of custom locks and defensive hardware on all entryways, sliding doors, cupboards, gates, filing cabinets, mailboxes, windows, electrical panels, and other areas
- Repairing or swapping out of old locks for new ones, which come with an ironclad three-month assurance guarantee
- The cutting of brand new keys and establishment of a key registration system, which protects your keys from being copied or replicated without your express permission
In layman’s terms, one call to a lock and key expert does it all.
Advice for Contacting a Locksmith
Before you phone or send a message to your local locksmith, you should observe the following suggestions:
- Your technician should have at least 20 years’ experience and carry an authorised license from the WA Police.
- Expect to pay a small premium for middle-of-the-night callouts and weekend requests – there is simply no way to get around this industry trend.
- Never contact more than one locksmith at a time. Approximately 40% of locksmiths arrive onsite only to see that there is another professional performing work, which basically feels like a slap in the face.
The most acclaimed experts in Perth can also customise garage and gate remotes, so omit the trip to your community hardware shop and get in touch with a locksmithing and security expert to iron out your issues.